Sunday, November 23, 2008

La Famiglia

Thanksgiving is around the corner and soon to be followed by the other holidays that bring families together. When I was younger, I couldn't wait for these times. I would try to be as patient as possible while awaiting these joyous events. Soon enough the holidays would arrive. Without contributing any help in preparing, family members would arrive, the table would be so neatly arranged with fancy silverware , and dinner would be served.
However, my perspective of the holidays, partly because I am more aware of more, has changed. I am more aware of the tension that exists among family members. I am more aware of those that constantly do the inviting and those that only want to be invited. Over the years, I have seen the once young, rambunctious and vibrant generation grow old and now I am old enough to have seen loved ones pass on leaving behind drastic changes within the family structure and altertations of the routines of things.
Holidays have gradually become smaller for me. Instead of many family faces around the table I only see that of my nuclear family and it upsets me. I think it upsets me more because I see others with bigger guest lists and larger portion sizes at the holiday.
But before I dare say anything, I remind myself of others that are not as lucky, even lucky as me. There are many who are separated from their familes, big and small, because of their call of duty in the military. There are those grieving from the loss of family memebers and there are those dealing with seperation among their nuclear families from the simple shelfishness of one person.
This Thanksgiving I am glad to have the three people that mean so much to me: my mom, my dad and my brother....Grazie!!

patient:able to wait
aware:realizing something
contribute: give
rambunctious:noisy, out of hand
silverware: things at the table made of silver: plates, forks, knives spoons etc.
perspective: view

Be _______ and wait to open your gifts!
Please don't forget the _______________ when you set the table.
The class got in trouble for being ______________.
Were you _________that the Jets won.
At Christmas time many people_______________ to the Salvation Army.
From my _______________ I can not see the game.


A non-defining clause is when there is a phrase within a sentence, normally surrounded by commas, that is not necessary for the sentence to function. It acts as added information. Here are two examples:
1)However, my perspective of the holidays, partly because I am more aware of things, has changed.
2)A non-defining clause is when there is a phrase within a sentence, normally surrounded by commas, that is not necessary for the sentence to function.
One can also recognize a non-defining clause in speech by using an intonation. We may pause briefly between each information group.

1 comment:

Teacher: Jackie said...

Yes, the holidays are sometimes bittersweet. We remember those whom you have lost, and sometimes we forget to appreciate those who are with us.